Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pretty Cool

Today was a day I was going to take off. I've sailed several days in a row and my right shoulder really felt like it needed some rest. But, this is summer and I would regret not sailing every day that I could come September. So, I resolved to do some light wind freestyle (backwind sailing, heli tack) on the Go 170 with a 5.3 sail. I've resolved to do this a few times already this summer. I study Tricktionary, I watch the Tricktionary DVD, then it blows up. The wind, I mean. Happened again today.

There I was, after lunch, laying down to try and rest the shoulder. I check the meters on iWindsurf - 16 mph SW. What? Wait, they predicted something like 8-12 max. Then I check again, onsite post, yes, it's really 16 mph. So, reluctantly, shoulder aching, I go down to Heckscher/Joe's Beach. Lots of people sailing. Looks more than 16 to me. I see Pete R., he says he's on slalom gear, 8.7 and 132 liter 81cm wide slalom board.

So, I quickly pull out the Ray 130 and rig the 7.5. Run into the water, and take off. Holy crap! This gear is too big. I launch off a Heck chop and feel like I am in the air for half and hour. But, I land it. Turn around and head in. It starts to pick up some more, the wind that is.

Come in, start rigging the 6.3 and 102 l board. Everyone is rigging down. Wind comes up some more, so I rig the 5.5. Go out, one run on 5.5/102. Pretty wild, esp. with the chop, wakes, who knows what else. Come in again, and get out the Fanatic Freewave 85 for it's second sail. Now, this is windsurfing! I even make my first few jibes on it. Nice! Sailing with the big boys!

Holy crap, its getting dark. Come in, start de-rigging and putting boards away. Crack of thunder, flash of lightning (actually the other way around), rain, rain, I think some hail. Drive home, sunny and dry in Huntington.

All in all, an awesome day. Another small step up the ladder, first completed jibes on an 85 liter that I can remember at Heckscher anyway. I've made some out at Napeague, but that water is dead flat. But now, my shoulder is really cooked. I will HAVE to take tomorrow off, have real world things to take of also.

Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment