Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Most Reliable Wind Forecast Ever

So, I was thinking today when I clicked on my Yahoo mail account to check for new mail that I had finally found a way to get reliable wind forecasts. It seems to be the most reliable wind forecast available and I am even thinking of getting rid of my iwindsurf account. Who needs meters and meteorologists when one has access to the most reliable wind forecast ever, and it's free?

So, what is this most reliable wind forecast? The longislandwindsurfer group, of course. You see, I only use
my Yahoo email account for this group, so all of the mail I get is LIWG traffic. I don't even have to read the emails to find out if it's windy or not. Of course, if I want to find out WHERE it's blowing, I usually only have to read the subject lines of the emails.

What I have determined is this:

If there are more than 10 new emails in the morning, then the wind will be sailable, but not great. If there are more than, say, 18 emails in the morning, the wind will be really good. Less than 5 emails means it probably won't happen, while less than 2 (that would be 1 or 0) new emails means that it is a great day for a long bike ride.

So, I would like to say a big thank you to all of the members of the LIWG for providing me with this most reliable of wind forecasts.

The address for this awesome, accurate, and avid group of windsurfers is longislandwindsurfer@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment