Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Decisions, Decisions...

The song for today is: "Decisions, Decisions" by the Starting Line. (To avoid possible copyright infringement, this is a cover of the song. Sorry if the quality is not so great, but I wanted to get the idea across.)



So, here it (almost) is. The day after tomorrow is the 3rd Annual East Coast Windfest (http://www.ecwindfest.com/). I have been waiting two years for this as I missed last year's event.
As I have chronicled before, I am a former sailboat racer (highlights of my boat career include:
1972 East Coast Hobie 14 Champion, top 30 in 1988 Sonar North Americans as mainsail trimmer, and 12th place as helmsman of a Farr 41 at the World Offshore Sailing Championships in 2000), but am currently a total wannabe windsurf racer.

I am getting real excited and looking forward to some around the buoys windsurfing. The wind should be on the light side Saturday morning and Sunday mid- to late-afternoon with higher winds forecast for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The lighter wind is kind of what I am more excited about as that is when the course racing will mostly likely be run. Although my windsurf skills are not all that great, yet., I do have a good sense of course racing tactics and strategies, especially starts. Oh boy, I really hope they have some timed starts. Due to my advanced age and decrepit shape, the "Le Mans" starts off the beach are killer (in a bad sense) for me.

Anyway, here is the cause of my present conundrum: 7.5 or 9.5. You see, they are running one class with a max. sail size of 7.5 and an "Open" class for sail sizes larger than 7.5. In the higher wind parts of the weekend, this won't present a problem, but if there is indeed lighter wind for part of the event as forecast, I need to make a decision. If I had been able to sail more (or at all) since last October, this would be no choice at all, I'd just go with the 9.5. But since I haven't sailed all winter, I may lean towards the 7.5 even though my hybrid Pacer Pro 300 just does not go too well with the 7.5 in subplaning conditions. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow afternoon. That is when I am planning to get and do a little planing and see how my thumb is and how it all goes. Then, I will make my decision Saturday morning based on Friday afternoon, the wind report then, and how I feel. Stay tuned.

If you are in the area, (Long Island, that is) you should definitely go down to Heckscher State Park on Saturday and Sunday (9:30 AM registration) and join in on the hilarity. I just watched last year and it is really a fun time. Since the wind is supposed to be good Saturday afternoon, I am sure the freestylers will be putting on quite a show.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment