Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Hope

Even thought I don't like Miley Cyrus (in fact, I really, really dislike her), this song somehow does seem to make sense today. Therefore, the song for today, against my better judgement, is:



And yes, I am going for some kind of comma record here. Anyway, why hope? Well, today is Monday and doesn't hope spring eternal, or words to that effect, on Monday mornings. Just think about it. The whole week, and all of its possibilities lay ahead. There could be good wind every afternoon, although I have a department meeting after work today and have a ton of grading to catch up on. The weather could be just right for some water time, even though my thumb is not quite ready for the water yet. And........the ECWF is this weekend. The ECWF, in case you didn't know, is the East Coast Windsurfing Festival. This the third one in a row. I did the first one and had some fun, even though it was the first time I sailed the Pacer and couldn't get the board down. It was a great time, however, and spawned a second one last year, which I missed due to an appendectomy. So, I am hoping to make it this year. You see, I am a total wanna be racer. I used to race sailboats and have this idea that I can translate that ability into racing windsurfers. Trouble is, the ECWF is just about the only event to do any kind of course racing and its only once a year, and I've already one out of two. Hopefully, that won't turn into missing two out of three. I mean, its only a thumb. I guess I could wear a dry glove on that hand and do my best impression of Michael Jackson windsurfing!

More info on ECWF, please see: http://www.ecwindfest.com/ or http://www.peconicpuffin.com/

The other problem is that I haven't windsurfed, sadly, since last fall so I am not at all prepared for the event this weekend, but I will try and get out Friday afternoon, or Thursday afternoon, or both. I did spend some time getting my equipment, if it's light air, in shape.

Well, let's hope my body lets me finally get out and get back to learning how to windsurf better.

No comments:

Post a Comment