Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Asphyxiation

After listening to Roy Orbison's magnus opus Windsurfer several times this morning, I just had to get wet. While driving down to Heck on Sagtikos Parkway, I noticed that a giant caromboulage had just occurred on the other side. Some poor person's car was completely smashed in and ambulances were on the way. Serves to make one feel lucky when one is in good health and can think about going windsurfing.

When I arrived at the beach, there was a bit (a wee small bit) of wind that the Captain was making use of on her Starboard Phantom along with a couple of other people who looked like they were on their maiden windsurfing voyages. Good on them, I say!!

Anyway, I decided to rig the Pacer/Pacer combo and went out practicing railing and longboard tacks and pivot jibes. It was okay for about 20 minutes, then the wind (if I may call it that) got so light that it wasn't even blowing anymore. It was more like a sucking effect. Sucking out all of the oxygen in the air. It was getting hard to breath. I was hoping that an oxygen mask would pop out of the boom. I started feeling a bit "high" and began to realize that if I didn't get back to the beach soon, that I would soon pass out. This "high" is the first indication that one is being asphyxiated, and is similar to the effect of diminished oxygen in high altitude flight without an auxiliary oxygen supply.

In addition, even though the insolation from the Sun has started to diminish because the tilt of the Earth's axis relative to the Sun has begun to move the Northern Hemisphere into a position where the incoming solar radiation is spread over a larger area as fall and winter approach, it was still hot enough that I was thinking that when I did get asphyxiated from the sucking effect of the "breeze" that someone would eventually find a dessicated human sailing along on a really cool windsurfer. A gaggle of jet skiers thankfully interrupted this reverie and I headed in.

Joe4.7 then opined that "Manana" was going to be good. Can't wait to fall asleep and wake up to lots of wind.

(Some names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

2 comments:

  1. So did you catch it on Sunday? Plenty of wind to go around.

    Glad to see you've fired this blog up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, puffin. as for Sunday, please see latest post.

    ReplyDelete