Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Progress...

(The theme song for today was "Livin' on the Edge of a Hurricane", by Randy Naish and the Ultronz.)

Last night I checked the forecast for today and it said SW in the 20's. The only fly in the ointment was that I almost had to stay late after school. So, I moved some things around, and checked the wind right near the end of, the day. The promised wind had come. This is quite unusual, but I was ready. Contact lenses in, bathing suit on (yes, I wore my bathing suit under my dress clothes to save time later), wetsuits in van, and ice and drinks in cooler.

So, I basically followed the buses out of the parking lot to get down to the beach as soon as possible. All day long the trees outside the window were moving around ALOT, so by the end of the school day I was very antsy, to say the least. You know the drill on the half hour or so drive to the beach on a windy day, right? Temples get all tight and achy, fists clench steering wheel, heart pounding out of the chest, basically a heart attack. Well, for some reason, I was all calm today, and focused. Today was the day I was going to do, not try, not attempt, but do a planing jibe.

When I arrived at the beach, the parking lot was full with the usual suspects all out sailing already. (Some people did come even later than me, but most were already there). I saw Allison rigging, I said hello, she said "everyone is out on 4.2's". Awesome, I thought, this is the day.

So, rigged up the 4.2 and headed out on the 102. There were big puffs, and for the first couple of runs I felt overpowered, or over-boarded, or both. But, it got my attention. I should say right now that when I first saw the chop, my first thought was, well, maybe I won't do my first planing jibe today. That was it, the die was cast. It was not to be, I had psyched myself out yet again......but, I am feeling so much more confident and free, yes free, in these very windy conditions than I used to be ("used to", meaning last week, I suppose). Anyway, made first 2 jibes, not planing but the ever popular flarve where you carve in and flare out. It was fun going back and forth a couple or three times without falling. It will be so much MORE when I can stay planing the whole time (or more nearly so).

Of course, I was so excited I told a couple of people on the beach that I had just made 2 jibes in a row, and that was it for a while. But, it was 100% fun, all the time. Took a break for awhile, went back out and made 3 jibes in a row. Also, I started thinking that besides looking where I wanted to go, I needed to flip the sail earlier. This was later confirmed by Pharmacist Al (who I really look up to, cause he's like 68 or something and rips it up out there), who said two great things to me:

1. "You are sailing as well as I did after 8 years in only 4 years" (to paraphrase)
2. "If you flipped your sail sooner you would have a perfect jibe" (well, maybe not perfect, but acceptable).

Also, I need to credit Andy Brandt of ABK Boardsports once again. He had us doing some recovery drills in light wind on our raceboards last weekend. Well, when the 102 nose popped up a couple of times in the flare phase of my flarve jibes, I just leaned forward, down it went, flip the sail, and go. It sounds smooth, but believe me its pretty rickety.

I was also able to finally thank Joe (he of the Angulo board), for suggesting to me several weeks ago to use a single backstrap. It really changed my life. (my windsurfing life, anyway - or should I tell my students that I am much happier in class now that I can always put both feet in the straps and can really motor on the water - or relatively so?) You see, I had this phobia all last year, and even the first part of this year, about getting my back feet in the straps. If I didn't do it at precisely the right time, dire consequences would happen, or so I thought. The single backstrap made it so much easier, and now I do it almost with thinking, even on the 133 which has double back straps. This, along with getting my boom up a bit and slightly shorter harness lines has unleashed my inner personal speed demon. woohoo. (which is not to say I am the fastest, or almost the fastest on the water by any means, it just means that I can more closely keep up with the other people and in some cases keep up or go a bit faster than others in some conditions)

Not only was the sailing great, but it's always inspiring to watch the more experienced windsurfers do really cool maneuveurs. Trying to emulate them, and trying to keep up with them speed-wise has made a big difference in my sailing. When sailing alone, I would think that I was going fast, but its not until someone passes you that you realize just how much faster one could be going, or how much better one can turn, etc.

So, all in all, another wonderful day in the universe. see ya next time its windy and I can get out sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment