Why Opposite End Windsurfing?

Long Island, NY
I really,really like to windsurf. It is my favorite thing to do, except for teaching kids about physics, that is. The only problem is that I am not so great at windsurfing, at least right now. Several people in my area have created windsurfing blogs, but they are really, really good at windsurfing (and not too shabby at blogging). So, I've decided to give a perspective from the opposite end of the windsurfing skill spectrum, hence the name Opposite End Windsurfing for my blog. In it, I will share the experiences of someone who is trying to become a really good windsurfer.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Catchin' UP

Hello there. Haven't posted in a little while so I figured I would catch things up. Last weekend, Sept. 19 and 20, I attended the ABK Board Camp Racing Clinic out at Napeague. As I think I have posted here before, I am a (wannabe) racer. So, of course I had to make it to this clinic, as there is the East Coast Fall Windsurfing Racing thing coming up Oct. 10 and 11. I turned 54 during last week's clinic, so I will be signing up for the over 50 class.
Still not sure if this only for the 7.5 and under class or not. The Pacer sail is 9.5, which would put me in the unlimited class. If its blowing, I guess I'll go with the  7.5 and under class. Just hope its not windy enough for slalom!

Anyway, the clinic was great fun. Who knew that Andy Brandt. awesome freestyler and teacher, is (or was and may be again) one of the top windsurf racers in the country. He had us doing some really cool light air drills to get more comfortable on the board, and to be able to stop and turn quickly in light air. He also gave me some tips on how to get the Pacer moving better in light air with the 7.5. The flat water at Napeague is very confidence boosting I might add. So, on Saturday we did some triangle light air racing, then a "long distance" race around the island at the entrance to Napeague Bay. Besides learning alot about upwind speed and tactics, the effect of current, and the effect of shallow water and choosing the right strategy to maximize speed in light air, the two things that really stand out from the "race" are the following:
a. getting back in the bay against the tide through the little cut to the north of the island when board speed was only a tiny bit above the current speed. The board was basically planing in the apparent current "wind" but forward progress was very, very slow. Two people came walking down the dunes towards me and were probably wondering what was going on. There was a rooster tail coming out from the stern of the Pacer ("flux linkage", is its name, like it was a racing yacht or something. oh well, I am a geeky nerd after all), and yet I was barely moving relative to the shore. Wish I could have had a camera to show my students. This was a great example of adding (or, rather, subtracting) vectors.
b. The deer that came bounding through the water and over the sandbar, and swam right across water right in front of me. An amazing sight. One I'll never forget. So, its true that deer swim from Ct. to LI after all.

Sunday was actually pretty good. We did one triangle race, and then since it appeared that the wind was going to build, Andy set up a little figure 8 slalom course. The wind dropped a bit, but I was able to get planing with the c/b down (ran aground a couple times so pulled it halfway up), and it was great fun. Didn't realize how much I miss timed starts and rounding buoys in (or on) sailing craft.  The only thing I realized as I was driving home was how come, yes how come, Dennis, you didn't do port tack approach starts? You used to be awesome at tacking into the hole in the line. Next time, don't forget.

After the clinic ended on Sunday afternoon, I stayed out on the Pacer for a while flying on close reaches across Napeague Bay and back. I have never sailed the Pacer that fast before, I don't think. The perfectly flat water is perfect for speed runs. When I finally came in, Tom L. called me "speed boy". Well, the only thing is that I am sure that all the good windsurfers would have been able to beat me, but it sure did feel good.

My "ace" move of the weekend was jibing early and wide at a leeward mark to get inside of a guy, pass him, and then kill him upwind. Of course, I did this for 42 years in boats, but it did feel good to do it on a sailboard. Also, Andy had gotten hold of a 20  year old custom carbon 13 foot long course racing board designed by Bard Chrisman. What a weapon!! He let me sail it, and the thing felt so stable for something so long and narrow, and it just glides upwind at very close angles. I need to get ahold of something like that. Of course, then I would have to get racks for the hitop van, figure out someway to get the board up there.........Guess that's one of the things that led me to the Pacer in the first place.   But I was able to almost hold his angle (at slightly less speed) non-planing on the Pacer. Even though Andy made me use a 36cm weed fin instead of the upright 60 cm its supposed to have.

Next sailing day was Friday afternoon at Crab Meadow in a somewhat less than expected NE, Of course, I should expect NE winds to die as the day progress as they always seem to do. Rigged the 7.5 (desperate to get out) on the 133. The worst windsurfing I have done in a long while. I just felt out of sync and couldn't do anything. The less said about this day the better. Even Greg the kiter had his spreader break and Jeff T (old sailboat racing friend and all around nice guy) and Dr. Bob (pediatrician and all around nice guy) ran down the beach and helped him out. But it was nice to meet Chris and Dana, and even Greg, and have a good talk catchin' up with Jeff T.

Today, Monday, Sept. 29. I hope I never forget this day. The wind was expected to be SW and build, which it did. Almost wish I had driven out to Napeague early in the morning, but went to Heck early afternoon instead. I wasn't feeling so good, maybe just the anticipation or maybe because I hadn't sailed well in a week (or sailed at all except for the crappy sesssion on Friday). I even went back home after I left for the beach to make sure I had taken all my medications! (I had)

Anyway, got down to Heck sometime after 12, I think. To my immense surprise, ardly anyone was there , but it wasn't that windy yet and not that many people had today off. It was not surprising, however, to see "The Captain" cruising around and even getting on a plane once in a while on her Starboard Phantom. So, I rigged the 7.5 and went out on the 133. Right away, I could tell this was going to be a good (if not great) day. Everything just felt so comfortable. Even the chop seemed fairly small and manageable ( I retained this feeling all day even as the wind built, to my enthusiastic surprise). I was even getting around and making most of my jibes (not quite planing out, but almost). Then, the wind built. Rigged the 6.3. It took awhile, had to redo the mast extension at least 4 times, but finally got it set up right. I did remember to right down all the settings at the end of the day. I think I finally have this sail in its sweet spot. It felt light and powerful all day.

At first, I sailed the 6.3 with the 133 but pretty soon went to the 102. What a treat! I was having fun blasting around and carving up and downwind in the little chop-swell. Just a great time. I was even making most of my jibes (at first) and started coming out of the carves on a plane, and I THINK, maybe, not sure, but just maybe I completed a carving, full planing, jibe. Not really sure though. Here's what I have now learned. Jibes are a whole lot easier when you look into the direction of the jibe. In other words. look where you want to go, and you will go there. I learned this a long time ago when learning to ski trees, and then a little less long ago when riding mountain bikes. I guess I have to learn it every time I try a new sport! Everything the hard way, that's my life. But, so much more satisfaction when I do accomplish something new.

I was even looking for "ramps" and trying little jumps as best I could. I THINK, maybe, not sure, but just maybe on or even possibly two of these attempts that the fin may have cleared the water. In any event, I was able to turn the board off the wind before the board contacted the water during these attempts and avoided the dreaded spin-out. All in all, a good day, and progress made.

So, the day was awesome until I noticed a little crack in the nose of the 102. Fixed it with some ding stick, but it took an hour to dry, it was 5:30, heavy clouds moving in, wind dying off a bit. But, went out for one more planing run, and had to schlog back in upwind, but what a great day. Then, on the way home, I got within a couple of minutes of home when the heavens opened up. So, had to run in during a torrential downpour. Of course, it let up quite a bit several minutes later. Like I said, everything the hard way.

A great day. Just wish I didn't have to wait for the weekend to go sailing again. Oh wait, class at Stony Brook on Wednesday has been cancelled (you should see chlorophyll fluoresce at 669 nm under black light, very cool),
maybe there will be afternoon wind. 

Until the next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment